What’s in a name? These guys were the Great, great, great grandsons of the Patriarch Abraham. Muppim, Huppim & Ard, what a trio! Sounds like a crew at Sesame Street or a Broadway play! Nope, they were just the younger sons of Benjamin, one of the leaders of the 12 tribes of Israel. There is only one mention of these men, as they are just listed as sons of Benjamin. Their names may be listed in the Bible but there’s no other record of their accomplishments.
It’s kind of like what I heard recently that Charles Shulz (the creator of the Peanuts comic strip) said:
- Name the five wealthiest people in the world.
- Name the last five Heisman trophy winners.
- Name the last five winners of the Miss America pageant.
- Name ten people who have won the Nobel or Pulitzer Prize.
- Name the last 6 Academy Award winners Best Actor & Actress.
- Name the last decades worth of World Series winners.
How did you do? The point is, none of us remember the headliners of yesterday. These are no second-rate achievers. They are the best in their fields. But the applause dies, awards tarnish, achievements are forgotten. Accolades and certificates are buried with their owners.
Here’s another quiz. See how you do on this one.
- List a few teachers who aided your journey through school.
- Name 3 friends who helped you through a difficult time.
- Name five people who have taught you something worthwhile.
- Think of a few people who made you feel appreciated and special.
- Think of five people you enjoy spending time with.
The Lesson: The people who make a difference in your life are not the ones with the most credentials, the most money, or the most awards; they simply are the ones who care the most.
Pass this on to those people who have either made a difference in your life, or whom you keep close in your heart.
And most of all, don’t forget, the Bible says that “There is a friend who sticks closer than a brother.” (Proverbs 18:24) That friend is Jesus!
More Blogs Here: Blog Index